Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Stroke Comeback Center in Vienna, Rockville and Leesburg will be closed until further notice. On-line classes are now being offered. Please check out our Virtual/On-line programming under our "Programs" tab.
Executive Director, Stroke Comeback Center
Position Vacancy Announcement
Stroke Comeback Center (the “Center”) is a nonprofit community of survivors of stroke and other brain-trauma with aphasia and other communication difficulties.A nationally recognized organization, the Center is the only organization of its type in the Washington, DC, area that offers supportthroughout the entire recovery process. The Center provides ongoing and personally meaningful programs that focus on all aspects of recovery including speech, reading, writing, comprehension, cognition, and fitnesswithin a supportive and peer-driven environment that is affordable. The Center is proud of its reputation as a best practice service model for organizations across the country. We serve the greater DC region with our headquarters in Vienna, Virginia and a second location in Rockville, Maryland.
We are seeking a new Executive Director, with a start date of April 1, 2020. This individual must be a visionary, a decisive leader, and a calculated risk taker, who will be able to maintain a sense of community.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing and sustaining the current therapeutic programs as well as the continued strategic growth of the Center.Responsibilities include:
- Directing the staff and daily operations of the Center
- Managing Center budgets and finances, including oversight of all strategic fundraising efforts – events, major gifts by individual and corporate donors, and foundation funding – to sustain and expand programs
- Maintaining relationships with the organizations and medical facilities in the DC Metropolitan region and on a national level to:
- Promote the Center’s programs
- Raise awareness about stroke and other brain related trauma
- Advocate for aphasia-related initiatives
- Supervision of on-site research and the development of program innovation
Candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in a senior management position that included:
- direct program and development
- demonstrated program innovation
- leadership in team building
- Participation in managing a nonprofit agency
- Successful, hands-on fundraising
- Effective financial management and planning
- Excellent interpersonal relations, compassion for and rapport with people with disabilities, strong creative energy,
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Active participation in relevant professional networks that promote sharing of information and partnerships to benefit people in need
A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Executive level experience preferred. Salary commensurate with experience.