Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Stroke Comeback Center in Vienna, Rockville and Leesburg will be closed until further notice. On-line classes are now being offered. Please check out our Virtual/On-line programming under our "Programs" tab.
- The Stroke Comeback Center (SCC) is a community of survivors dedicated to living successfully following a stroke or other neurological event. Our program is different from what happens in hospitals and rehab centers. We offer classes and activities that allow individuals to work toward goals that they have chosen–whatever “living successfully” means to that person.
- Communication support classes are the core of the center. Four-six members work together in a group with a comeback coach and/or a professional. Groups allow for interactive practice to improve listening, speaking, reading and writing. Other classes focus on thinking, memory, problem solving and other cognitive skills. Technology is a big part of our program – our computer lab, interactive tablets and smart phone applications are used in groups or in mentored sessions. Some members sign up for one-to-one meetings to get help with specific communication needs.
- Our Fun and Fitness and Adaptive Yoga classes allow survivors and family members to work together on balance, strength and mobility. These classes are taught by a certified personal trainer and certified yoga instructor with special expertise in working with survivors of brain trauma.
- Caring Connection is coordinated by caregivers and provides support for any and all family members and loved ones in our survivor community. There is no cost to attend these monthly meetings.
- Special programs and celebrations are held for our members and their families and loved ones. We have an annual picnic, a holiday party and other social events throughout the year. Every summer we have a Stroke Comeback Day at a Washington Nationals game that has become a very popular event. Families frequently have casual social gatherings every day for lunch outings, games or just conversation.
- The number and the variety of programs and activities at the SCC allow individuals and their family members to pick and choose the programs and groups they would like to attend and build a comeback program that meets their goals.
- SCC is organized by sessions. Each session is 9 weeks with a one or two week break in between sessions. There are 5 sessions each year. The Weekly Group Calendars show the weekly schedule in Vienna, Rockville and Leesburg and our Virtual Center and is updated each session. The Center is closed on the following holidays: New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Our mission is to provide these critically needed services at a cost that families can afford. We have a sliding scale based on household income and work with each and every family to be sure that they can become a part of our Stroke Comeback family – no one is turned away for inability to pay.
- Do you need more information? How can you become a member of the Stroke Comeback Center community? Make an appointment for an Intake Meeting!